a Passignano, (the Abbey of Passignano)
was founded on an isolated site reachable via a branch of
the road known in mediaeval times as the "strada senese del Sambuco",
the route to Sienna preferred by the Florentines until at least the year
The principal structures open onto the courtyard, which is reached by
passing along an avenue of cypresses. Among these is the Church of Saint
Michael Archangel, which probably dates back to the 13 C, based on the
facade which is covered in "filaretti di albarese", and the
bell tower, both of which are unfortunately much restored. The crypt of
the church, roofed by cross vaulting resting on four columns with simple
capitals derives, in contrast, from a preceding Romanesque structure.
The entrance doorway to the monastery is located in front of the church. The monastery is occupied by a tiny community of vallombrosan monks, and may be visited when a guide is made available.
Badia a Passignano Opening hours
Open by reservation (tel 055 807 11 71) or by ringing the bell
during the following hours:
From the main doorway, one enters a small square characterised by two towers and a mediaevalised prospect resulting from
reconstruction after 1870 when the complex became private property. The
stone entrance, in contrast, is original and dates from the 15 C. The
refectory, the kitchen and the chapter's room, which opens onto the
cloister, the may be visited.
Aerial view of the abbey of Badia a Passignano
Click here for information on Tavarnelle Val di Pesa
Refectory of the abbey with a fresco by Ghirlandaio
Click here for information on Mercatale Val di Pesa
Info Copyright ©
2001 - 2020. All rights reserved.
Web site promotion and SEO